This page contains a list of user images about Calvados which are relevant to the point and besides images, you can also use the tabs in the bottom to browse Calvados news, videos, wiki information, tweets, documents and weblinks.
From the Grammy Nominated album The Truth About Love available now - http://smarturl.it/tal Music video by P!nk featuring Nate Ruess performing Just Give Me ...
Buy at iTunes: http://goo.gl/zv4o9. New album on sale now! http://turtleneckandchain.com.
Watch judges' comments at http://itv.com/XFactor (UK ONLY) Watch James Arthur sing Impossible by Shontelle Sweeeeet! As potential Winner's Singles go, this o...
WATCH BLOOPERS & MORE: http://bit.ly/ZELDAxtras DOWNLOAD THE SONG: http://smo.sh/13NrBp8 DOWNLOAD UNCENSORED SONG: http://smo.sh/WMYpsf GET LEGEND OF SMOSH T...
Thrift Shop on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thrift-shop-feat.-wanz-single/id556955707 The Heist physical deluxe edition: http://www.macklemoremer...
Music video by Rihanna performing Rehab. YouTube view counts pre-VEVO: 19591123. (C) 2007 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
The adorable 4-year-old crooner was back to put the moves on our host, and to make everybody in the audience melt. This kid is too adorable!
Download on iTunes: http://goo.gl/gcVR7 THREE T-Shirt designs!: http://goo.gl/jr4sY So many things to throw on the ground! Featuring Ryan Reynolds and Elijah...
Download "Stay" from Unapologetic now: http://smarturl.it/UnapologeticDlx Music video by Rihanna performing Stay ft. Mikky Ekko. © 2013 The Island Def Jam Mu...
YOLO is available on iTunes now! http://smarturl.it/lonelyIslandYolo THE LONELY ISLAND - THE WACK ALBUM - JUNE 11th! Pre-order THE WACK ALBUM DIRECT: http://...
Play the DUDE PERFECT GAME here! iPhone - http://bit.ly/DPGameiPhone Android - http://bit.ly/DPGameAndroid iPad - http://bit.ly/DPGameiPad Tweet! http://bit....
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis present the official music video for Can't Hold Us feat. Ray Dalton. Can't Hold Us on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/cant-...
Learn Magic at http://www.penguinmagic.com Instagram: http://instagram.com/themagicofrahat Twitter: http://twitter.com/magicofrahat Facebook Group: http://ww...
This video accidentally turned out kind of sad, ME SO SOWWY IT NOT POSED TO BE SAD WHO WANTS HUGS AND COOKIES? Also, FYI for anyone attempting this, it takes...
Pre-order new album Unapologetic, out worldwide Monday, November 19: http://smarturl.it/UnapologeticDlx Music video by Rihanna performing Diamonds. ©: The Is...
Music video by Rihanna performing Pon de Replay. YouTube view counts pre-VEVO: 4166822. (C) 2005 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
Ellen weighed in on the conversation surrounding the policies of Abercrombie & Fitch.
Please subscribe to my channel and my vlog channel! I make new videos here every Wednesday and make vlogs during my majestical daily life. JennaMarbles Jenna...
The father and son movie star duo told Ellen about their relationship, and the things Will does to embarrass his son.
So i was pretty hesitant to make this video... but after all of your request, here is my Draw My Life video! Check out my 2nd Channel for more vlogs: http://...
Apple orchards and brewers are mentioned as far back as the 8th century by Charlemagne. The first known Norman distillation was carried out by "Lord" de Gouberville in 1554, and the guild for cider distillation was created about 50 years later in 1606. In the 17th century the traditional ciderfarms expanded but taxation and prohibition of cider brandies were enforced elsewhere than Brittany, Maine and Normandy. The area called "Calvados" was created after the French Revolution, but "eau de vie de cidre" was already called "calvados" in common usage. In the 19th century output increased with industrial distillation and the working class fashion for "Café-calva". When a phylloxera outbreak in the last quarter of the 19th century devastated the vineyards of France and Europe, calvados experienced a "golden age". During World War I cider brandy was requisitioned for use in armaments due to its alcohol content. The appellation contrôlée regulations officially gave calvados a protected name in 1942. After the war many cider-houses and distilleries were reconstructed, mainly in the Pays d'Auge. Many of the traditional farmhouse structures were replaced by modern agriculture with high output. The Calvados appellation system was revised in 1984 and 1996. Pommeau got its recognition in 1991; in 1997 an appellation for Domfront with 30% pears was created.
Cider brandy is also made in the UK, and appears in records going back to 1678. Somerset cider brandy gained European protected geographical indication (PGI) status in 2011.
Calvados is distilled from cider made from specially grown and selected apples, of which there are over 200 named varieties. It is not uncommon for a Calvados producer to use over 100 specific varieties of apples, which are either sweet (such as the Rouge Duret variety), tart (such as the Rambault variety), or bitter (such as the Mettais, Saint Martin, Frequin, and Binet Rouge varieties), the latter being inedible.
The fruit is harvested (either by hand or mechanically) and pressed into a juice that is fermented into a dry cider. It is then distilled into eau de vie. After two years aging in oak casks, it can be sold as Calvados. The longer it is aged, the smoother the drink becomes. Usually the maturation goes on for several years.
Double and single distillation 
The appellation of AOC calvados authorizes double distillation for all calvados but it is required for the AOC calvados Pays d’Auge.
- Double distillation is carried out in a traditional alembic pot still, called either "l'alambic à repasse" or "charentais".
- Single continuous distillation in a column still.
The usual arguments for and against the two processes are that the former process gives the spirit complexity and renders it suitable for longer aging whilst the latter process gives the calvados a fresh and clean apple flavour but with less complexity. In fact there is a growing belief that a well operated column still can produce as complex and "age-able" Calvados as Double Distillation.
Producing regions and legal definitions 
Like many French wines, Calvados is governed by appellation contrôlée regulations. There are three appellations for calvados:
- The AOC calvados area includes all of the Calvados, Manche, and Orne départements and parts of Eure, Mayenne, Sarthe, and Eure-et-Loir.
- AOC calvados makes up for over 70 percent of the total production.
- Minimum of two years ageing in oak barrels.
- The terroir, geographical area, is defined.
- The apples and pears are defined cider varieties.
- The procedures in production like pressing, fermentation, distillation and ageing is regulated.
- Usually single column distillation.
- The more restrictive AOC calvados Pays d'Auge area is limited to the east end of the département of Calvados and a few adjoining districts.
- Extensive quality control—the basic rules for AOC calvados together with several additional requirements.
- Aging for a minimum of two years in oak barrels.
- Double distillation in an alembic pot-still.
- Produced within the designated area in Pays d'Auge.
- A minimum of six weeks fermentation of the cider.
- Flavour elements are controlled.
- AOC calvados Domfrontais reflects the long tradition of pear orchards in the area, resulting in a unique[clarification needed] fruity calvados. The regulation is similar to the AOC calvados and the column still is used.
- A minimum of 30 percent pears from the designated areas is used.
- A three-year minimum of ageing in oak barrels.
- The orchards must consist of at least 15 percent of pear trees (25 percent from the sixteenth harvest).
- Fermier "farm-made" calvados—some quality minded producers both inside and outside the Pays d’Auge make "calvados fermier", which indicates that the calvados is entirely made on the farm in a traditional agricultural way according to high quality demands.
Grades of quality 
The age on the bottle refers to the youngest constituent of the blend. A blend is often composed of old and young calvados. Producers can also use the terms below to refer to the age.
- "Fine", "Trois étoiles ***", "Trois pommes"—at least two years old.
- "Vieux"—"Réserve"—at least three years old.
- "V.O." "VO", "Vieille Réserve", "V.S.O.P." "VSOP"—at least four years old.
- "Extra", "X.O." "XO", "Napoléon", "Hors d'Age" "Age Inconnu"—at least six years old. Often sold much older.
High quality calvados usually has parts which are much older than that mentioned. Calvados can be made from a single (generally, exceptionally good) year. When this happens, the label often carries that year.
Calvados is the basis of the tradition of le trou Normand, or "the Norman hole". This is a small drink of Calvados taken between courses in a very long meal, sometimes with apple sorbet, supposed to re-awaken the appetite. Calvados can be served as apéritif, blended in drinks, between meals, as a digestif, or with coffee. Well-made calvados should naturally be reminiscent of apples and pears, balanced with flavours of aging. The less aged calvados distinguishes itself with its fresh apple and pear aromas. The longer the calvados is aged, the more the taste resembles that of any other aged brandy. As calvados ages, it may become golden or darker brown with orange elements and red mahogany. The nose and palate are delicate with concentration of aged apples and dried apricots balanced with butterscotch, nut and chocolate aromas.
In popular culture 
Calvados is the regimental drink of The Royal Canadian Hussars, Le Régiment de Hull and Le Régiment de Maisonneuve, having been taken up as the units passed through Normandy following the D-Day invasion. Known as Le Trou normand, it is normally taken as a palate cleanser between courses at a regimental dinner.
In the Swedish television police procedural Beck, the main character, Martin Beck, regularly drinks Calvados.
In the anime Sound of the Sky, the members of the 1121st Platoon secretly run a distillery in which Calvados is produced.
See also 
- Mattsson, Henrik (2005). Calvados: the world's premier apple brandy : tasting, facts and travel. p. 27. ISBN 91-631-5546-X.
- Steven Morris (15 September 2011). "Victory for Somerset as cider brandy wins protected status". Guardian. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- Eric Asimov (October 31, 2011). "The Flavor of Apples and a Sip of Fall". New York Times. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Calvados (spirit)|
- The cider route (and calvados) in Pays d'Auge
- Apples, Cider and Calvados in Pays d'Auge, Normandy
- About Calvados: Tasting, Appellations, Fruit, Soils, Distillation & Aging