This page contains a list of user images about David Gans which are relevant to the point and besides images, you can also use the tabs in the bottom to browse David Gans news, videos, wiki information, tweets, documents and weblinks.
From the Grammy Nominated album The Truth About Love available now - http://smarturl.it/tal Music video by P!nk featuring Nate Ruess performing Just Give Me ...
Music video by Rihanna performing Take A Bow. YouTube view counts pre-VEVO: 66288884. (C) 2008 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
Watch judges' comments at http://itv.com/XFactor (UK ONLY) Watch James Arthur sing Impossible by Shontelle Sweeeeet! As potential Winner's Singles go, this o...
Thrift Shop on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thrift-shop-feat.-wanz-single/id556955707 The Heist physical deluxe edition: http://www.macklemoremer...
Music video by Rihanna performing Rehab. YouTube view counts pre-VEVO: 19591123. (C) 2007 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
Music video by Rihanna performing Russian Roulette. (C) 2009 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
So i was pretty hesitant to make this video... but after all of your request, here is my Draw My Life video! Check out my 2nd Channel for more vlogs: http://...
Download this song: http://bit.ly/EpicRap7 New ERB merch: http://bit.ly/MNwYxq Tweet this Vid-ee-oh: http://clicktotweet.com/TpUg9 Hi. My name is Nice Peter,...
Music video by P!nk performing Try (The Truth About Love - Live From Los Angeles). (C) 2012 RCA Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment.
Download "Stay" from Unapologetic now: http://smarturl.it/UnapologeticDlx Music video by Rihanna performing Stay ft. Mikky Ekko. © 2013 The Island Def Jam Mu...
YOLO is available on iTunes now! http://smarturl.it/lonelyIslandYolo THE LONELY ISLAND - THE WACK ALBUM - JUNE 11th! Pre-order THE WACK ALBUM DIRECT: http://...
Play the DUDE PERFECT GAME here! iPhone - http://bit.ly/DPGameiPhone Android - http://bit.ly/DPGameAndroid iPad - http://bit.ly/DPGameiPad Tweet! http://bit....
Don't be these people. Mapoti See Bloopers and Behind-The-Scenes Here!: http://youtu.be/dfpo7uXwJnM Huge thank you and shout out to Dtrix: http://www.youtube...
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis present the official music video for Can't Hold Us feat. Ray Dalton. Can't Hold Us on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/cant-...
This video accidentally turned out kind of sad, ME SO SOWWY IT NOT POSED TO BE SAD WHO WANTS HUGS AND COOKIES? Also, FYI for anyone attempting this, it takes...
Pre-order new album Unapologetic, out worldwide Monday, November 19: http://smarturl.it/UnapologeticDlx Music video by Rihanna performing Diamonds. ©: The Is...
Music video by Rihanna performing Pon de Replay. YouTube view counts pre-VEVO: 4166822. (C) 2005 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
DOWNLOAD this SONG: http://bit.ly/epicrap2 NEW vader hitler shirts: http://bit.ly/KduR3Q Tweet this Vid-ee-oh! http://clicktotweet.com/53mUe Beat By: Vandali...
LIKE/FAV We got 45 burgers, a whole bunch of liquor and bacon.... this is Fast Food Lasagna. Buy TSHIRTS!! Click Here! http://shop.epicmealtime.com/ Like on ...
Its a simple math equation really... Click to see Bloopers and The making of this video here!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nccOGxj27J8 Follow me on TWITTE...
October 29, 1953 |
Los Angeles, California United States
|Genres||Rock, Folk, Jam band|
|Occupations||Musician, Songwriter, Music journalist, Author|
|Years active||1970 - present|
|Labels||Shanachie, Arista, Perfectible Recordings|
|Associated acts||Sycamore Slough String Band, The Reptiles, Crazy Fingers, David Gans and the Broken Angels, Rubber Souldiers|
|Website||David Gans official website|
David Gans (b. October 29, 1953, Los Angeles, California) is an American musician, songwriter, and music journalist. He is a guitarist, and is known for incisive, literate songwriting. He is also noted for his music loop work, often creating spontaneous compositions in performance. He is the co-author of the book Playing in the Band: An Oral and Visual Portrait of the Grateful Dead, and the host of the weekly syndicated radio show The Grateful Dead Hour. He currently co-hosts a radio show with Gary Lambert on Sirius-XM called "Tales from the Golden Road", a call in show about the Grateful Dead.
Gans started out as a musician in 1970, playing guitar and writing songs and performing both as a soloist and as a member of various bands around the San Francisco Bay Area. Then, in an unusual career change, he became a music journalist. Gans' journalism career was quite successful, writing for BAM, a free San Francisco-based magazine, and Jann Wenner's Record from its beginning to its end, and working as music editor of Mix magazine for a while. He wrote articles for prominent magazines such as Relix and Rolling Stone. He commented, "Writing for music magazines gave me access to musicians and producers and record company publicists. I got a million-dollar education from interviewing Leo Fender, Randy Newman, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Goodman, T Bone Burnett, Warren Zevon, Ted Templeman, and people like that. I spent time in recording studios, learned how the music business operates, rode in limos with the Doobie Brothers, got lots of records for free, and got paid for all of it."
In 1985, his first book, Playing in the Band: an Oral and Visual Portrait of the Grateful Dead (co-authored with Peter Simon) about his long-time favorites, the Grateful Dead, was published to critical acclaim. While he was working on his second book, Talking Heads: The Band and Their Music, he merged his talents and interests with the emergence of his first "Grateful Dead Radio Hour" on a local station, and found that he enjoyed the work. The program was syndicated on dozens of stations across the United States. Today he hosts the nationally syndicated radio show, "The Grateful Dead Hour"; "Tales from the Golden Road" on Sirius/XM Satellite Radio with co-host Gary Lambert, editor of "The Grateful Dead Almanac"; and the local weekly show, "Dead To The World," on Berkeley's KPFA.
Gans is credited by many for encouraging Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh to emerge from retirement. Lesh played several shows with David Gans and the Broken Angels in late 1997 and early 1998. Gans assembled interesting combinations of musicians for Lesh to jam with in a series of benefits for Lesh's Unbroken Chain Foundation, culminating with a sold-out show at the Fillmore Auditorium in San Francisco on January 31, 1998. Shortly after that event, Lesh began assembling ensembles of his own and touring as Phil Lesh and Friends.
Gans describes his career in musical journalism as "getting 'sidetracked'" from his first love: actually making music. In the mid-1990s, with the death of Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead’s subsequent extended hiatus, Gans decided to set journalism on the back-burner and focus on music again.
In 1997 he released a duet album of himself playing with Berkeley singer-songwriter Eric Rawlins, Home By Morning, backing it up by performing around the Bay Area. This was followed the next year by a topical single, "Monica Lewinsky," that got a lot of airplay and publicity and enabled Gans to expand his touring base. After more than twenty years of performing in the San Francisco Bay Area as a solo singer-songwriter and with various bands (The Reptiles, Crazy Fingers, David Gans and the Broken Angels), Gans began touring nationally, which he continues to do today. He performs at many festivals including the Gathering of the Vibes, the High Sierra Music Festival, MagnoliaFest and the Suwannee SpringFest (both held annually at the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park), Grateful Fest (in Nelson Ledges Quarry Park, Ohio), the Master Musicians Festival (in Somerset, Kentucky); the Terrapin Hill Music Festival (in Harrodsburg, Kentucky), Hookahville (in Ohio), the Sunshine Daydream Music Festival (in Terra Alta, West Virginia), the Berkeley (California) Free Folk Festival, and others. He has appeared in concert all over the country, from Seattle to Atlanta, Burlington to Phoenix.
In 2002, Gans became one of the first independent musicians to release a DVD. Live at the Powerhouse documents a stirring outdoor afternoon performance at a northern California brewpub, featuring some of his best material and demonstrating his work multi-tracking himself live, using a Boss RC-20 Loop Station.
He has performed onstage with members of the Grateful Dead, The Schwag, JGB, the New Riders of the Purple Sage, Donna the Buffalo, Peter Rowan, Ollabelle, The Waybacks, Blueground Undergrass, Dark Star Orchestra, Keller Williams, moe., Hot Buttered Rum, the Rowan Brothers, and Henry Kaiser.
Gans' most recent musical endeavor is the Sycamore Slough String Band, an acoustic band playing the music of the Grateful Dead, and currently performing live throughout Northern California . The Dead Vault's own Cosmic Charlie recently said about Sycamore Slough's performance of "Loser," "There’s some phenomenal vocal harmonies here, and Gans sounds great on the lead vocal. There’s some really great melodic guitar work by Gans here too! This rendition of Loser rounds out their set, and in a short (hour) set, I’m hooked!" 
- Home By Morning - David Gans and Eric Rawlins. Perfectible Recordings 1997
- "Monica Lewinsky" - David Gans and the Broken Angels (CD single). Perfectible Recordings 1998
- Solo Acoustic - David Gans. Perfectible Recordings, 2001
- Live at the Powerhouse - David Gans. PowerVision DVD, 2003
- Solo Electric - David Gans. Perfectible Recordings, 2003
- Twisted Love Songs - David Gans. Perfectible Recordings, 2007
- The Ones That Look The Weirdest Taste The Best - David Gans. Perfectible Recordings, 2008
- Life Is a Jam - David Gans. Perfectible Recordings, 2010
- First Rehearsals - Sycamore Slough String Band. Perfectible Recordings, 2012
- Various artists, The Music Never Stopped: Roots of the Grateful Dead. Co-produced with Henry Kaiser. Shanachie Records, 1995.
- Grateful Dead, So Many Roads (1965-1995) (5-CD boxed set). Co-produced with Steve Silberman and Blair Jackson; Arista, 1999. RIAA certified gold
- The Persuasions, Might as Well: The Persuasions Sing Grateful Dead. Co-produced with Jerry Lawson. Grateful Dead/Arista Records, 1999.
- Various artists, Stolen Roses: Songs of the Grateful Dead. Grateful Dead/Arista Records, 1999.
- Grateful Dead, Postcards of the Hanging: Grateful Dead perform the songs of Bob Dylan. Grateful Dead/Arista Records, 2002.
- Grateful Dead, Best of the Grateful Dead Hour. Grateful Dead Records, 1998.
- Jerry Garcia, All Good Things: Jerry Garcia Studio Sessions. Co-produced with Blair Jackson. Rhino Records, 2004
Liner notes 
- David Murray Octet: Dark Star: Music of the Grateful Dead. Astor Place Records.
- Grateful Dead, American Beauty. Individually and as part of the The Golden Road (1965-1973) boxed set. Rhino Records, 2002
- Grateful Dead, Terrapin Station. Part of the Beyond Description (1973–1989) boxed set. Rhino Records, 2004.
- Jerry Garcia Band, "Let It Rock" aka The Jerry Garcia Collection, Vol. 2: Jerry Garcia Band, Keystone Berkeley '75. Jerry Garcia Family LLC, 2009.
- Merl Saunders, Jerry Garcia: Keystone Companions: The Complete 1973 Fantasy Recordings. Fantasy Records, 2012.
- Anthem to Beauty DVD
- Playing in the Band: An Oral and Visual Portrait of the Grateful Dead by David Gans and Peter Simon. St Martin's Press, 1985; revised edition published by St. Martin's Press 1996.
- Talking Heads: The Band and Their Music. Avon Books, 1985. Out of print.
- Conversations with the Dead: The Grateful Dead Interview Book. Citadel Underground, 1991. Expanded edition published by Da Capo Press 2002.
- Not Fade Away: The Online World Remembers Jerry Garcia. David Gans, editor. Thunder's Mouth Press, 1995.
- David Gans on Allmusic
- Robins, Cynthia. "Hail from the Chief (Deadhead)", San Francisco Examiner, July 8, 1998
- "A Conversation with David Gans" interview in The Well, June 2006
- "Sovereign Soul: David Gans" interview in JamBase, 2004
- "Might as Well" interview in The Music Box, December 2000
- Twisted Love Songs album review, The Music Box, September 2007
- David Gans biography on his official website
- "Rubber Souldiers picks up where Beatles left off," Regan McMahon, SF Chronicle, May 24, 2009
- David Gans official website
- Grateful Dead Hour official website
- David Gans collection at the Internet Archive's live music archive