This page contains a list of user images about Douglas Lute which are relevant to the point and besides images, you can also use the tabs in the bottom to browse Douglas Lute news, videos, wiki information, tweets, documents and weblinks.
Douglas Lute Images
A substitute teacher from the inner city refuses to be messed with while taking attendance.
Music video by Rihanna performing Unfaithful. (C) 2006 The Island Def Jam Music Group #VEVOCertified on Feb. 15, 2012. http://vevo.com/certified http://youtu...
Music video by Taylor Swift performing Back To December. (C) 2011 Big Machine Records, LLC.
Music video by P!nk performing Try (The Truth About Love - Live From Los Angeles). (C) 2012 RCA Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment.
"Just One Last Time" feat. Taped Rai. Available to download on iTunes including remixes of : Tiësto, HARD ROCK SOFA & Deniz Koyu http://smarturl.it/DGJustOne...
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis present the official music video for Can't Hold Us feat. Ray Dalton. Can't Hold Us on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/cant-...
This video accidentally turned out kind of sad, ME SO SOWWY IT NOT POSED TO BE SAD WHO WANTS HUGS AND COOKIES? Also, FYI for anyone attempting this, it takes...
Music video by Rihanna performing Only Girl (In The World). (C) 2010 The Island Def Jam Music Group #VEVOCertified on February 16, 2011. http://www.vevo.com/...
Jimmy reveals that he is f*@#ing Ben Affleck.
LIKE/FAV We got 45 burgers, a whole bunch of liquor and bacon.... this is Fast Food Lasagna. Buy TSHIRTS!! Click Here! http://shop.epicmealtime.com/ Like on ...
So i was pretty hesitant to make this video... but after all of your request, here is my Draw My Life video! Check out my 2nd Channel for more vlogs: http://...
Cry ▻ http://www.youtube.com/chaoticmonki Click Here To Subscribe! ▻ http://bit.ly/JoinBroArmy Fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9010921/1/Flowers-For-...
|Douglas Edward Lute|
November 3, 1952 |
Michigan City, Indiana
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Commands held||Deputy National Security Advisor|
Douglas Edward Lute, born November 3, 1952, is a retired United States Army lieutenant general. On 15 May 2007, Lute was appointed by George W. Bush to serve as Assistant to the President and Deputy National Security Advisor for Iraq and Afghanistan, also known as the "War Czar", a senior advisory position responsible for overseeing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was asked to stay on by new President Barack Obama as Obama's Special Assistant and Senior Coordinator for Afghanistan and Pakistan. Despite leaving active duty in 2010, Lute remained in his position at the National Security Staff. Rumors that Lute would depart the White House in August 2011 turned out to be untrue; he remained in his post. New rumors that he would be brought back to active duty in the U.S. Army and appointed Supreme Allied Commander Europe emerged in February, 2012. He is married to Jane Holl Lute, who is the Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security.
Born in Michigan City, Indiana on November 3, 1952, Lute graduated from the United States Military Academy (also known as West Point) in 1975. His first assignment was to the Second Armored Cavalry Regiment in Bindlach, Germany, where he commanded C Troop. He received an MPA degree from the Kennedy School of Government of Harvard University in 1983 and taught in the Social Sciences department at West Point.
Second Cavalry 
Following attendance at the British Army Staff College, he returned to the Second Cavalry as operations officer, serving both at the squadron and regimental levels. In 1990–91 he deployed and fought with the regiment in Operation Desert Storm, and later served on the staff of the Chief of Staff of the United States Army.
Lute commanded 1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry at Fort Hood, Texas in 1992–94. He then served on the Joint Staff in the J-5 Directorate for Strategic Plans and Policy, and held a War College Fellowship at the Atlantic Council in Washington, D.C.
From 1998 to 2000 he commanded the Second Cavalry Regiment, part of XVIII Airborne Corps, at Fort Polk, Louisiana. In 2001, he was appointed Brigadier General. He served next as the executive assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff for 14 months before joining the 1st Infantry Division in Schweinfurt, Germany, as the Assistant Division Commander (Support). He commanded Multinational Brigade East in Kosovo for 6 months in 2002 before being assigned to United States European Command in January 2003 as the Deputy Director of Operations.
In June 2004, Lute began more than two years as Director of Operations (J-3) at United States Central Command (USCENTCOM), during which he oversaw combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as other operations in the Middle East, Central Asia, and the Horn of Africa. He was appointed to the rank of Major General in 2004, and to the rank of Lieutenant General in 2006. He assumed duties as Director of Operations, the Joint Staff, in September 2006.
National security 
On 10 August 2007, Lute stated that the United States should "consider" reinstating the military draft to relieve the "stressed" volunteer service from multiple tours of duty. This was immediately followed by a comment that it would be a major policy shift and that he did not see a current need for a draft.
Awards and decorations 
During his military career he received:
- Defense Superior Service Medal (with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters)
- Legion of Merit (with Oak Leaf Cluster)
- Bronze Star Medal
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal (with 4 Oak Leaf Clusters)
- Joint Service Commendation Medal
- Army Commendation Medal (with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters)
- Army Achievement Medal
- Parachutist Badge
- Ranger Tab
- Office of the Secretary of Defense Identification Badge
- Joint Chiefs of Staff Identification Badge
- Army Staff Identification Badge
- "Bush picks Gen. Lute to "war czar" for Iraq". Reuters. May 15, 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-15.
- Cooper, Helene (2009-01-13). "War Czar for Bush to Keep His Job". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-18.
- Yochi J. Dreazen and Aamer Madhani (2011-06-28). "With Afghan Timetable in Place, Two Senior Officials are Moving On". National Journal (National Journal"). Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- Greg Jaffe (2012-02-03). "Obama may pick Lute for European command". Washington Post (Washington Post"). Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- "Flag and General Officer Announcements". DefenseLink. May 22, 2001. Retrieved 2007-08-12.
- "Flag and General Officer Announcements". DefenseLink. October 29, 2004. Retrieved 2007-08-12.
- "General Officer Announcement". DefenseLink. July 19, 2006. Retrieved 2007-08-12.
- "Obama may pick Lute for European command". Washington Post. February 5, 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-05.
- "Iraq war czar: Consider a draft". Associated Press. August 10, 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-08-14. Retrieved 2007-08-11.
- Liberal Lobby Lacks Context. FactCheck.org. Retrieved on 2012-03-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Douglas E. Lute|
- Text adapted from public domain Joint Chiefs of Staff biography
- Douglas Lute collected news and commentary at The Washington Post
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Douglas Lute on Charlie Rose
- Douglas Lute collected news and commentary at The New York Times
- Works by or about Douglas Lute in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Douglas Lute at SourceWatch