This page contains a list of user images about The Crane Wife which are relevant to the point and besides images, you can also use the tabs in the bottom to browse The Crane Wife news, videos, wiki information, tweets, documents and weblinks.
From the Grammy Nominated album The Truth About Love available now - http://smarturl.it/tal Music video by P!nk featuring Nate Ruess performing Just Give Me ...
Watch judges' comments at http://itv.com/XFactor (UK ONLY) Watch James Arthur sing Impossible by Shontelle Sweeeeet! As potential Winner's Singles go, this o...
WATCH BLOOPERS & MORE: http://bit.ly/ZELDAxtras DOWNLOAD THE SONG: http://smo.sh/13NrBp8 DOWNLOAD UNCENSORED SONG: http://smo.sh/WMYpsf GET LEGEND OF SMOSH T...
From the album Nothing But The Beat Ultimate - Download on iTunes here: http://smarturl.it/NBTBiTunes?IQid=vevo Featuring Sia, Ne-Yo, Akon, Nicki Minaj, Flo ...
Thrift Shop on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thrift-shop-feat.-wanz-single/id556955707 The Heist physical deluxe edition: http://www.macklemoremer...
Music video by Rihanna performing Rehab. YouTube view counts pre-VEVO: 19591123. (C) 2007 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
http://manofsteel.com http://www.facebook.com/manofsteel In theaters June 14th. From Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures comes "Man of Steel", starring Henry...
BLOOPERS: http://bit.ly/FiretruckBloopers GET THE SONG: http://smo.sh/WMZv7l MILKSHAKE MUSIC VIDEO: http://bit.ly/MilkyMilkshake CHECK OUT THIS FIRETRUCK TEE...
The adorable 4-year-old crooner was back to put the moves on our host, and to make everybody in the audience melt. This kid is too adorable!
Download on iTunes: http://goo.gl/gcVR7 THREE T-Shirt designs!: http://goo.gl/jr4sY So many things to throw on the ground! Featuring Ryan Reynolds and Elijah...
Win Free Tickets + VIP Meet & Greets: http://smarturl.it/BATour iTunes: http://smarturl.it/BAiTunes Spotify: http://smarturl.it/BoyceCCV2bSpotify - - - - - -...
Music video by P!nk performing Try (The Truth About Love - Live From Los Angeles). (C) 2012 RCA Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment.
Download "Stay" from Unapologetic now: http://smarturl.it/UnapologeticDlx Music video by Rihanna performing Stay ft. Mikky Ekko. © 2013 The Island Def Jam Mu...
Download This Song: http://bit.ly/KzLBGB Click to Tweet this Vid-ee-oh! http://bit.ly/Nt9lg8 Hi. My name is Nice Peter, and this is EpicLLOYD, and this is th...
YOLO is available on iTunes now! http://smarturl.it/lonelyIslandYolo THE LONELY ISLAND - THE WACK ALBUM - JUNE 11th! Pre-order THE WACK ALBUM DIRECT: http://...
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis present the official music video for Can't Hold Us feat. Ray Dalton. Can't Hold Us on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/cant-...
Learn Magic at http://www.penguinmagic.com Instagram: http://instagram.com/themagicofrahat Twitter: http://twitter.com/magicofrahat Facebook Group: http://ww...
This video accidentally turned out kind of sad, ME SO SOWWY IT NOT POSED TO BE SAD WHO WANTS HUGS AND COOKIES? Also, FYI for anyone attempting this, it takes...
Pre-order new album Unapologetic, out worldwide Monday, November 19: http://smarturl.it/UnapologeticDlx Music video by Rihanna performing Diamonds. ©: The Is...
Music video by Rihanna performing Pon de Replay. YouTube view counts pre-VEVO: 4166822. (C) 2005 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
|The Crane Wife|
|Studio album by The Decemberists|
|Released||October 3, 2006|
|Genre||Indie rock, folk rock, progressive rock|
|Producer||Tucker Martine and Christopher Walla|
|The Decemberists chronology|
The Crane Wife is an album by The Decemberists, released in 2006. It was produced by Tucker Martine and Chris Walla, and is the band's first album on the Capitol Records label. The album was inspired by a Japanese folk tale, and centers on two song cycles, The Crane Wife and The Island, the latter inspired by William Shakespeare's The Tempest. National Public Radio listeners voted The Crane Wife the best album of 2006.
The story of The Crane Wife 
The Crane Wife is an old Japanese folktale. While there are many variations of the tale, a common version is that a poor man finds an injured crane on his doorstep (or outside with an arrow in it), takes it in and nurses it back to health. After he releases the crane, a woman appears at his doorstep with whom he falls in love and marries. Because they need money, his wife offers to weave wondrous clothes out of silk that they can sell at the market, but only if he agrees never to watch her making them. They begin to sell them and live a comfortable life, but he soon makes her weave them more and more. Oblivious to his wife's declining health, his greed increases. He eventually peeks in to see what she is doing to make the silk she weaves so desirable. He is shocked to discover that at the loom is a crane plucking feathers from her own body and weaving them into the loom. The crane, seeing him, flies away and never returns.
"When the War Came" 
This song is a portrayal of the 900 day Siege of Leningrad during the Second World War. During the siege, the German army surrounded the city entirely, preventing anything from going in or out. As a result, many died of starvation, and the final death-toll is estimated to be over one million. The song also has a political undertone to it; it is stated that despite the fact that people put their faith in the government which swore to protect them, they ended up being left unprepared and unequipped to fight off the Germans. The song references Nikolai Vavilov, a Russian botanist who was murdered by Joseph Stalin, in the lyrics.
- "The last great book I read was Hunger by Elise Blackwell. It’s about the siege of Leningrad in World War II, and there was a botanical institute. During the siege, which lasted a long time, the entire population was starving, but all of the botanists in the institute swore themselves to protect the catalog of seeds and plants and things, from not only a starving population, but also from themselves. It’s pretty amazing. I actually ended up writing "When the War Came", a song on the new record, about that." - Colin Meloy
"Shankill Butchers" 
Shankill Butchers is a song about the Ulster Volunteer Force gang, the Shankill Butchers. The UVF is a Protestant paramilitary organization. The Shankill Butchers split off from the UVF in the mid-1970s and carried out a series of grisly murders. These are the basis of the song. The Butchers abducted seven random Catholic citizens of Northern Ireland and killed them in the middle of the night by slashing their throats. They also carried out several other shootings and bomb attacks, killing as many as 32 people. 
Track listing 
All songs written by Colin Meloy.
- "The Crane Wife 3" – 4:18
- "The Island" – 12:26
- "Come and See"
- "The Landlord's Daughter"
- "You'll Not Feel the Drowning"
- "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)" (duet with Laura Veirs) – 4:18
- "O Valencia!" – 3:47
- "The Perfect Crime #2" – 5:33
- "When the War Came" – 5:06
- "Shankill Butchers" – 4:39
- "Summersong" – 3:31
- "The Crane Wife 1 & 2" – 11:19
- "Sons & Daughters" – 5:13
- Bonus tracks
- "After the Bombs" (iTunes bonus track) – 5:04
- "Culling of the Fold" (Tower Records bonus track) – 4:24
- "The Perfect Crime #1 + The Day I Knew You'd Not Come Back" (Starbucks bonus track) – 15:17
- "Hurdles Even Here" (Starbucks bonus track) – 4:31
|The A.V. Club||(A) |
|Being There Magazine|||
|Pitchfork Media||(8.4/10) |
The album was well received by critics, earning an 84% positive out of all reviews culled by Metacritic. It was ranked #41 on Pitchfork Media's list of the top 50 albums of 2006. JustPressPlay named it the second best album of the 2000s. Jim DeRogatis of the Chicago Sun-Times called it "the best Jethro Tull album since Heavy Horses." The album has sold 284,000 copies in the United States up to December 2008.
- Colin Meloy – Electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bouzouki, percussion, vocals, composer, design
- Jenny Conlee – Piano, Wurlitzer, pump organ, Hammond organ, Moog bass, accordion, glockenspiel, percussion, background vocals
- Chris Funk – Guitar, electric guitar, pedal steel, bouzouki, banjo, dulcimer, hurdy gurdy, percussion, background vocals
- Nate Query – Electric bass, upright bass, cello, percussion, background vocals
- John Moen – Drums, percussion, background vocals
- Christopher Walla – Keyboards, mixing, producer, background vocals
- Laura Veirs – Talking, vocals
- Eyvind Kang – Violin, viola
- Steve Drizos – Hand drums
- Ezra Holbrook – Background vocals
- Tucker Martine – Mixing, producer
- BJB – Mixing
- Rich Hipp – Assistant engineer
- Roger Seibel – Mastering
- Carson Ellis – Design, illustrations, lettering
- Autumn de Wilde – Photography
- Mike King – Design, layout design
- Dawn Barger – Management
In popular culture 
- "The Crane Wife 3" was covered by Marianne Faithful on her album Easy Come, Easy Go. She performed it live when she appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman on March 31, 2009, and on Later Live, presented by Jools Holland, transmitted on April 14, 2009, on the British BBC2 TV channel.
- "The Perfect Crime 2" was played on the popular television show Gilmore Girls in an episode entitled "'S Wonderful, 'S Marvelous" (season 7, episode 4).
- "The Island: Come and See" was played during the first episode of New Amsterdam.
- A cover of "Sons and Daughters" sung by Joe Anderson and Eloise Mumford was used in an episode of ABC's The River.
- "When the War Came" is featured in the 'Jim Thorpe' episode of the web-series EverymanHYBRID.
- "Shankill Butchers" is featured in the 'Alex' episode of the web-series EverymanHYBRID.
- "NPR Music: NPR Listeners Pick the Best CDs of 2006". Npr.org. December 7, 2006. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- "When The War Came by The Decemberists Songfacts". Songfacts.com. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- Dillon, Martin (March 2, 1999). The Shankill Butchers: The Real Story of Cold-Blooded Mass Murder. Psychology Press. p. xvi. ISBN 0415922313.
- Murray, Noel (2006-10-03). "The Decemberists: The Crane Wife | Music | Music Review". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "The Crane Wife". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Miller, Adam D. "Being There". Beingtheremag.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- [dead link]
- John Metzger. "The Decemberists - The Crane Wife (Album Review)". Musicbox-online.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "The Decemberists: The Crane Wife | Album Reviews | Pitchfork". Pitchforkmedia.com. 2006-10-03. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Frauenhofer, Michael. "The Decemberists: The Crane Wife < PopMatters". Popmatters.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "The Decemberists: The Crane Wife". Robert Christgau. 2006-10-05. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- [dead link]
- "The Decemberists - The Crane Wife | album reviews". musicOMH. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "different music blog". Subculturemagazine. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Metacritic: The Decemberists: The Crane Wife (2006): "The Crane Wife". Metacritic. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "Fifty Years of Great Music: The Top 100 Albums of the 2000s". Justpressplay.net. January 14, 2010. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- "Positively Prog", Jim DeRogatis, Chicago Sun-Times, Nov 5, 2006
- Cohen, Jonathan (December 10, 2008). "Decemberists Back In 'Love' On New Album". Billboard. Retrieved December 11, 2008.
- When The War Came by The Decemberists
- Decemberists Push the Envelope on 'Crane Wife'
- Crane Wife Review and NPR interview with Colin Meloy on YellowSubterfuge.com
- NPR Listeners Pick the Best CDs of 2006 - The Crane Wife picked as #1