This page contains a list of user images about USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) which are relevant to the point and besides images, you can also use the tabs in the bottom to browse USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) news, videos, wiki information, tweets, documents and weblinks.
From the Grammy Nominated album The Truth About Love available now - http://smarturl.it/tal Music video by P!nk featuring Nate Ruess performing Just Give Me ...
WATCH BLOOPERS & MORE: http://bit.ly/ZELDAxtras DOWNLOAD THE SONG: http://smo.sh/13NrBp8 DOWNLOAD UNCENSORED SONG: http://smo.sh/WMYpsf GET LEGEND OF SMOSH T...
From the album Nothing But The Beat Ultimate - Download on iTunes here: http://smarturl.it/NBTBiTunes?IQid=vevo Featuring Sia, Ne-Yo, Akon, Nicki Minaj, Flo ...
Thrift Shop on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thrift-shop-feat.-wanz-single/id556955707 The Heist physical deluxe edition: http://www.macklemoremer...
Music video by Rihanna performing Rehab. YouTube view counts pre-VEVO: 19591123. (C) 2007 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
Go to RoosterTeeth.com for all of season 8 of RvB!
http://manofsteel.com http://www.facebook.com/manofsteel In theaters June 14th. From Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures comes "Man of Steel", starring Henry...
Download "Stay" from Unapologetic now: http://smarturl.it/UnapologeticDlx Music video by Rihanna performing Stay ft. Mikky Ekko. © 2013 The Island Def Jam Mu...
"Just One Last Time" feat. Taped Rai. Available to download on iTunes including remixes of : Tiësto, HARD ROCK SOFA & Deniz Koyu http://smarturl.it/DGJustOne...
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis present the official music video for Can't Hold Us feat. Ray Dalton. Can't Hold Us on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/cant-...
Learn Magic at http://www.penguinmagic.com Instagram: http://instagram.com/themagicofrahat Twitter: http://twitter.com/magicofrahat Facebook Group: http://ww...
This video accidentally turned out kind of sad, ME SO SOWWY IT NOT POSED TO BE SAD WHO WANTS HUGS AND COOKIES? Also, FYI for anyone attempting this, it takes...
Pre-order new album Unapologetic, out worldwide Monday, November 19: http://smarturl.it/UnapologeticDlx Music video by Rihanna performing Diamonds. ©: The Is...
Music video by Rihanna performing Only Girl (In The World). (C) 2010 The Island Def Jam Music Group #VEVOCertified on February 16, 2011. http://www.vevo.com/...
LIKE/FAV We got 45 burgers, a whole bunch of liquor and bacon.... this is Fast Food Lasagna. Buy TSHIRTS!! Click Here! http://shop.epicmealtime.com/ Like on ...
BLOOPERS&DELETED SCENES: http://bit.ly/KidsXtras DOWNLOAD SEXY ALBUM: http://bit.ly/SexyAlbumDownload What would happen if kids shows were real? ------------...
So i was pretty hesitant to make this video... but after all of your request, here is my Draw My Life video! Check out my 2nd Channel for more vlogs: http://...
WATCH AVATAR, PREDATOR & BLOOPERS: http://bit.ly/Movies2XTRAS Anthony and Ian see what movies would be like if they were actually realistic. AGAIN. ---------...
BLOOPERS & PAC MAN+PONG: http://bit.ly/vg2XTRAS WATCH EN ESPAÑOL: http://youtu.be/Os1npZHzudw WATCH PART 1 w/ SUPER MARIO, ZELDA, + MORE: http://youtu.be/9bK...
Buy on iTunes: http://www.Smarturl.it/TTT Amazon: http://idj.to/svJVGM Music video by Rihanna performing Where Have You Been. ©: The Island Def Jam Music Group.
CVN-78 artist depiction.
|Name:||USS Gerald R. Ford|
|Namesake:||Gerald R. Ford|
|Awarded:||10 September 2008|
|Builder:||Huntington Ingalls Industries|
|Laid down:||13 November 2009|
|Sponsored by:||Susan Ford|
|Class & type:||Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier|
|Displacement:||appx. 100,000 tons|
|Length:||1,106 ft (337 m)|
|Beam:||256 ft (78 m)|
|Propulsion:||2 × A1B reactor|
|Range:||Unlimited distance; 20-25 years|
|Armament:||Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile
Rolling Airframe Missile
Close-in weapons system (CIWS)
|Aircraft carried:||More than 75|
PCU Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) is to be the lead ship of its class of United States Navy supercarriers. As announced by the U.S. Navy on 16 January 2007, the ship will be named after the 38th President of the United States Gerald R. Ford, whose World War II naval service included combat duty aboard the light aircraft carrier Monterey in the Pacific Theater.
The keel of the Gerald R. Ford was laid down on 13 November 2009. Construction began on 11 August 2005, when Northrop Grumman held a ceremonial steel cut for a 15-ton plate that will form part of a side shell unit of the carrier. The schedule calls for the ship to join the U.S. Navy’s fleet in 2016. Gerald R. Ford will enter the fleet replacing the inactive USS Enterprise CVN-65, which ended its 51 years of active service in December 2012.
Ship naming 
In 2006, while Gerald Ford was still alive, Senator John Warner of Virginia proposed to amend a 2007 defense-spending bill to declare that CVN-78 "shall be named the U.S.S. Gerald Ford." The final version signed by President George W. Bush on 17 October 2006 declared only that it "is the sense of Congress that ... CVN-78 should be named the U.S.S. Gerald R. Ford." Since such "sense of" language is typically non-binding and does not carry the force of law, the Navy was not required to name the ship after Ford.
On 3 January 2007, former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld announced that the aircraft carrier would be named after Ford during a eulogy for the president at Grace Episcopal Church in East Grand Rapids, Michigan. Rumsfeld indicated that he had personally told Ford of the honor during a visit to his home in Rancho Mirage a few weeks before Ford's death. This makes the aircraft carrier one of the few U.S. ships named after a living person. Later in the day, the Navy confirmed that the aircraft carrier would indeed be named for the former President. On 16 January 2007, Navy Secretary Donald Winter officially named CVN-78 the USS Gerald R. Ford. Ford's daughter Susan Ford Bales was named the ship's sponsor. The announcements were made at a Pentagon ceremony attended by Vice President Dick Cheney, Senators Warner and Levin (D-MI), Major General Guy C. Swan III, Bales, Ford's other three children, and others.
The USS America Carrier Veterans Association (CVA) had pushed to name the ship USS America. The CVA is an association of sailors who served aboard USS America (CV-66), which was decommissioned in 1996 and scuttled in the Atlantic as part of a classified weapons damage/battle damage test of large deck aircraft carriers in 2005. Eventually, LHA-6 was named America.
On 10 September 2008 the US Navy signed a $5.1 billion contract with Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding in Newport News, Virginia, to design and construct the carrier. Northrop had begun advance construction of the carrier under a $2.7 billion contract in 2005. The carrier is being constructed at the Huntington Ingalls (formerly Northrop Grumman) Newport News Shipbuilding facilities in Hampton Roads, Virginia, which employs 19,000 workers. The keel of the new warship was ceremonially laid on 14 November 2009 in Dry Dock 12 by Ford's daughter, Susan Ford Bales. Said Bales in a speech to the assembled shipworkers and DoD officials, "Dad met the staggering challenges of restoring trust in the presidency and healing the nation's wounds after Watergate in the only way he knew how — with complete honesty and integrity. And that is the legacy we remember this morning."
As of August 2011, the carrier was reported to be "structurally halfway complete". In April 2012, it was said to be 75 percent complete. On 24 May 2012, the important milestone of completing the vessel up to the waterline was reached when the critical lower bow was lifted into place. This was the 390th of the nearly 500 lifts of the integral modular components (from which the vessel is assembled) that the ship's construction will ultimately require. On 8 October 2012, the carrier reaches over the 88 percent of the complete structural construction. Huntington Ingals reports (in a 8 Nov. 2012 GLOBE NEWSWIRE press release) that they have "Reached 87 percent structural completion of CVN-78 Gerald R. Ford". By 19 December 2012, construction had reached 90 percent structural completion. "Of the nearly 500 total structural lifts needed to complete the ship, 446 have been accomplished."
On 9 April 2013, the flight deck of the carrier was completed following the addition of the ship's upper bow section, bringing the ship to 96 percent structural completion.
On 7 May 2013, the last of 162 superlifts was put in place, bringing the ship to 100 percent structural completion. Remaining work that needs to be done includes hull painting, shafting work, completion of electrical systems, mooring equipment, installation of radar arrays, and flooding of the dry dock.
See also 
- "Analysis of the Fiscal Year 2012 Pentagon Spending Request". Costofwar.Com. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "Gerald R. Ford ship ceremony brings Susan Ford Bales, Family to Newport News, Virginia", The Grand Rapids Press, 13 November 2009.
- Launch of Navy's newest aircraft carrier delayed - Militarytimes.com, May 6, 2013
- Navy Names New Aircraft Carrier USS Gerald R. Ford - Official Announcement from Secretary of the Navy.
- Navy CVN-21 Aircraft Carrier Program: Background and Issues for Congress Retrieved 8 December 2006.
- "USS Enterprise: Past Present And Future". The Official US Navy Blog. US Navy. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- United States Library of Congress. PDF, Senate Amendment 4211. Retrieved 5 December 2006.
- Defense Link News Article. President Signs 2007 Defense Authorization Act. Retrieved 1 December 2006
- United States Library of Congress. House Resolution 5122, Section 1012 (p. 292). Retrieved 1 December 2006.
- C-SPAN's Capitol Questions. Sense of Congress. Retrieved 5 December 2006.
- Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library and Museum
- Next Navy aircraft carrier to be named for late President Gerald Ford, buried Wednesday Retrieved 3 January 2007.
- Gerald R. Ford Foundation and exhibits, speakers and activities it supports
- "Name CVN78 USS America: A new flagship for America!". USS America Carrier Veterans Association. 21 January 2007. Retrieved 2008-12-05.
- Adams, Kathy, "Newport News Shipyard Gets $5.1B Contract For Carrier Ford", Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, 11 September 2008.
- Frost, Peter, "Shipyard Lays Keel Of Carrier In Solemn Tribute To Gerald R. Ford", Newport News Daily Press, 15 November 2009.
- "Navy's next aircraft carrier halfway complete | UTSanDiego.com". Signonsandiego.com. 18 August 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "Topic Galleries". dailypress.com. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "Bow piece for USS Gerald R. Ford lifted into place". http://www.wvec.com/news/local/. WVEC Television. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- Story: "Huntington Ingalls Industries Inc : Huntington Ingalls Industries Reports Third Quarter Results; Reaches Significant Milestones on Path to 2015 Financial Targets", dated 11/08/2012| 07:27am US/Eastern at URL: http://www.4-traders.com/HUNTINGTON-INGALLS-INDUST-7642101/news/Huntington-Ingalls-Industries-Inc-Huntington-Ingalls-Industries-Reports-Third-Quarter-Results-Rea-15480567/
- Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) Hits the 90 Percent Mark for Structural Completion - Defense-Aerospace.com, 19 December 2012
- "Gerald R. Ford CVN 78 - Newport News Shipbuilding". Nns.huntingtoningalls.com. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Newport News Shipbuilding Completes Flight Deck On Aircraft Carrier Gerald R. Ford - Navyrecognition.com, April 16, 2013
- Next milestone today for carrier USS Gerald R. Ford - WVEC.com, May 7, 2013
- Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) Aircraft Carrier's Primary Hull Structure Reaches 100 Percent Completion - Defense-Aerospace.com, May 8, 2013
- This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register, which, as a U.S. government publication, is in the public domain. The entry can be found here.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78)|
- USS Gerald R Ford Official Site
- Naming of the CVN-78
- CVN-78 project details on Naval Technology
- Photos of GERALD R. FORD (CVN-78) by NavSource Online: Aircraft Carrier Photo Archive
- YouTube video of the "3D Build Sequence", by Huntington Ingalls (the Shipyard)
- YouTube video by Huntington Ingalls (the Shipyard) of the first section of "Flightdeck Unit Lift" placed on April 7th, 2012