This page contains a list of user images about Vet With PTSD which are relevant to the point and besides images, you can also use the tabs in the bottom to browse Vet With PTSD news, videos, wiki information, tweets, documents and weblinks.
From the Grammy Nominated album The Truth About Love available now - http://smarturl.it/tal Music video by P!nk featuring Nate Ruess performing Just Give Me ...
Buy at iTunes: http://goo.gl/zv4o9. New album on sale now! http://turtleneckandchain.com.
Watch judges' comments at http://itv.com/XFactor (UK ONLY) Watch James Arthur sing Impossible by Shontelle Sweeeeet! As potential Winner's Singles go, this o...
WATCH BLOOPERS & MORE: http://bit.ly/ZELDAxtras DOWNLOAD THE SONG: http://smo.sh/13NrBp8 DOWNLOAD UNCENSORED SONG: http://smo.sh/WMYpsf GET LEGEND OF SMOSH T...
From the album Nothing But The Beat Ultimate - Download on iTunes here: http://smarturl.it/NBTBiTunes?IQid=vevo Featuring Sia, Ne-Yo, Akon, Nicki Minaj, Flo ...
Thrift Shop on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thrift-shop-feat.-wanz-single/id556955707 The Heist physical deluxe edition: http://www.macklemoremer...
Music video by Rihanna performing Rehab. YouTube view counts pre-VEVO: 19591123. (C) 2007 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
The adorable 4-year-old crooner was back to put the moves on our host, and to make everybody in the audience melt. This kid is too adorable!
Download on iTunes: http://goo.gl/gcVR7 THREE T-Shirt designs!: http://goo.gl/jr4sY So many things to throw on the ground! Featuring Ryan Reynolds and Elijah...
Download "Stay" from Unapologetic now: http://smarturl.it/UnapologeticDlx Music video by Rihanna performing Stay ft. Mikky Ekko. © 2013 The Island Def Jam Mu...
YOLO is available on iTunes now! http://smarturl.it/lonelyIslandYolo THE LONELY ISLAND - THE WACK ALBUM - JUNE 11th! Pre-order THE WACK ALBUM DIRECT: http://...
Play the DUDE PERFECT GAME here! iPhone - http://bit.ly/DPGameiPhone Android - http://bit.ly/DPGameAndroid iPad - http://bit.ly/DPGameiPad Tweet! http://bit....
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis present the official music video for Can't Hold Us feat. Ray Dalton. Can't Hold Us on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/cant-...
Learn Magic at http://www.penguinmagic.com Instagram: http://instagram.com/themagicofrahat Twitter: http://twitter.com/magicofrahat Facebook Group: http://ww...
This video accidentally turned out kind of sad, ME SO SOWWY IT NOT POSED TO BE SAD WHO WANTS HUGS AND COOKIES? Also, FYI for anyone attempting this, it takes...
Pre-order new album Unapologetic, out worldwide Monday, November 19: http://smarturl.it/UnapologeticDlx Music video by Rihanna performing Diamonds. ©: The Is...
Music video by Rihanna performing Pon de Replay. YouTube view counts pre-VEVO: 4166822. (C) 2005 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
Ellen weighed in on the conversation surrounding the policies of Abercrombie & Fitch.
Please subscribe to my channel and my vlog channel! I make new videos here every Wednesday and make vlogs during my majestical daily life. JennaMarbles Jenna...
So i was pretty hesitant to make this video... but after all of your request, here is my Draw My Life video! Check out my 2nd Channel for more vlogs: http://...
|Tax ID No.||501(c)(3)|
|Mission||"The Pets for Vets program is dedicated to providing a second chance for shelter pets by rescuing, training and pairing them with America’s veterans who could benefit from a companion animal."|
Pets for Vets is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in the United States dedicated to providing a second chance to shelter dogs by rescuing, training and matching them with American veterans who need a companion pet.
Pets for Vets was founded on 10/21/2009 by animal behaviorist and trainer, Clarissa Black, who was looking for a way to help American veterans who were suffering from combat stress and other emotional issues related to their service. Many Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom veterans suffer physical and emotional injuries making it difficult to transition back to civilian life. Pets for Vets helps military veterans reclaim normalcy in their lives through companion dogs.
Each companion dog is rescued in connection with local animal rescue groups. They are then given basic obedience training and any additional training that will help them assimilate into their new lives and then finally placed in their "forever" home.
Issues addressed 
Estimates that anywhere from one in eight to one in five of all Iraq war veterans have some degree of PTSD and two thirds of those who screened positive for PTSD are not receiving treatment. People who suffer from PTSD experience anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, flashbacks, and extreme wariness. It may manifest right away or show up months or even years later. Some of those who suffer from PTSD commit suicide.
According to the ASPCA, every year between 6 and 8 million dogs and cats are abandoned at shelters in the United States. Nationally five out of ten shelter dogs and seven out of ten shelter cats are euthanized because there is no one to adopt them from the shelter These dogs and cats can make excellent companion animals but never have that chance.
Companion animals as therapy 
Animal-assisted therapy has typically been used to treat physical disabilities; it is becoming increasingly useful in treating patients with psychological complications including PTSD and combat stress and even reducing symptoms of PTSD in as many as 82% of patients studied.
More and more veterans are being written prescriptions for companion animals to help combat PTSD. Pets can help alleviate stress, loneliness and anxiety. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says pets can decrease your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, triglyceride levels and feelings of loneliness. Pets can increase your opportunities for exercise and outdoor activities and opportunities for socialization. Caring for a pet encourages responsibility and adherence to a daily schedule.
Pets for Vets developed a program focusing on addressing these issues by bringing together animals needing to be rescued and veterans needing a companion for a better quality of life. Not every veteran qualifies for a psychiatric service dog, however everyone who wants one can benefit from a companion or pet animal.
- James Serpell PhD: Beneficial effects of pet ownership on some aspects of human health & behaviour, Journal of Royal Science of Medicine, Volume 84, December 1991
- National Institute of Health
- Delta Society The Human-Animal Health Connection
- The healing bond between people and pets, podcast
- MedicineNet 5 ways pets can improve your health
See also 
- "What We Do". Pets for Vets. Retrieved 15 November 2011.
- Pets for Vets website About Us and How You Can Help. Retrieved May 21, 2010.
- Pets for Vets, Retrieved 10.08.09
- "Marine Corps Offers Yoga, Massages to Marriages Strained by War". Fox News. Associated Press. 2008-04-02. Retrieved 2008-04-03.
- Dixon, Laura (February 28, 2009). "Lance Corporal Johnson Beharry accuses Government of neglecting soldiers". London: Times Online. Retrieved 2009-08-29.
- Hickley, Matthew; Hope, Jenny (2009-03-02). "British troops in Afghanistan face mental health timebomb 'on the scale of Vietnam' | Mail Online". London: Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-08-29.
- "UK | Full interview: L/Cpl Johnson Beharry". BBC News. 2009-02-28. Retrieved 2009-08-29.
- MSNBC - Mental Health, Retrieved 10.08.09
- Atlanta Metro News-Research: War feeds depression and PTSD, Retrieved 10.08.09
- American Psychiatric Association (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-IV. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association. ISBN 0-89042-061-0.; on-line
- Brunet A, Akerib V, Birmes P (2007). "Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater (PTSD is not overdiagnosed)" (PDF). Can J Psychiatry 52 (8): 501–2; discussion 503. PMID 17955912. Retrieved 2008-03-12.
- David Satcher et al. (1999). "Chapter 4.2". Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General.
- ASPCA Facts, Retrieved 10.08.09
- Military News: Army Studies Use of Dogs for PTSD, Retrieved 10.08.09
- Asp, Karen (2005). "Volunteer Pets". Prevention 57 (4): 176–78. Retrieved 2006-11-05. Academic Search Elite. EBSCOhost. Polk Library, UW Oshkosh
- Allen, K; Shykoff, Be; Izzo, Jl, Jr (1 October 2001). "Pet ownership, but not ace inhibitor therapy, blunts home blood pressure responses to mental stress." (Free full text). Hypertension 38 (4): 815–20. ISSN 0194-911X. PMID 11641292.
- Kingwell, Ba; Lomdahl, A; Anderson, Wp (October 2001). "Presence of a pet dog and human cardiovascular responses to mild mental stress.". Clinical autonomic research 11 (5): 313–7. doi:10.1007/BF02332977. ISSN 0959-9851. PMID 11758798.
- Wilson, Cc (October 1987). "Physiological responses of college students to a pet.". The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 175 (10): 606–12. doi:10.1097/00005053-198710000-00005. ISSN 0022-3018. PMID 3655768.
- Koivusilta, Leena K. (2006). "To Have or Not To Have a Pet for Better Health?". PLoS ONE 1: e109. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0000109. PMC 1762431. PMID 17205113.
- Vormbrock, Jk; Grossberg, Jm (October 1988). "Cardiovascular effects of human-pet dog interactions.". Journal of behavioral medicine 11 (5): 509–17. doi:10.1007/BF00844843. ISSN 0160-7715. PMID 3236382.